Monday, May 17, 2010

The Potter's Work

I was reading devotion today and as the title shows, this post is in response to Jeremiah 18:1-12. The words I wrote are God-spoken and I wish to share it with you guys. :)


[God's words to me]

My child,

You are the clay in my pot and I wish to shape you in the form I want you to be in.
Will you allow me to do so?

It may take a long time and it may be a hard process.
Will you still wish me to do so?

When I see parts of you that are displeasing to me, I will remove them and that act may be painful and tedious.
Do you still trust me enough to allow me to continue my work in you?

I promise you that you will be in the best form you can ever be in if you allow me to work in you.
And I promise you that I will be with you until the day you finish your race.

Will you trust me now?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Over the span of time I've been here in Sweden, I faced with various situations that vexed me and these situations caused me to become a changed person. I was changed unknowingly and it's only when I reflected on my actions and my struggles recently that I realised the change in me.




You must be wondering what are the changes in me now...

(Is it.......... ??)



Perhaps, I should allow your imaginations to run for a bit..................................................................................................



After all, everyone who goes overseas on exchange becomes........................................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

or struggles with...........................................................................................................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................................................................


HAHAHAHAHA.
Okay, I ought to stop now! Just in case Mel begins panicking and calls me up all the way from Singapore... (Not that I wouldn't want to receive her call, that is. But I wouldn't like the tone she will start with me...) Haha. Kidding Mel, you are always calm and collected. ;)





Getting back on topic, seriously this time, the change that I've undergone is the change in my heart.

As I began to interact with new people or friends that I never knew much, I started to develop a hardened heart. I looked at the lifestyles that the people around me were living, and for a while I felt that pain and emptiness within them that caused them to party all the time. But soon, I lost that compassion and love for them. I soon turned oblivion towards their actions and behaviors, and even became somewhat accepting towards them. I accepted them for who they were, and recognised that these people were difficult to change. But as I lost compassion and love for those people I thought were hardened, I began to lose love and compassion for the people that I truly cared for too.

A while ago, a friend was struggling with her thesis and assignments and had continuous breakdowns. She asked me for prayer and so, I prayed. She wanted to pray together, and we prayed together on skype. Everyday, even though we prayed, she still struggled with her work and was unable to live in God's promises for her. After a while of daily prayers together, I grew tired of her struggles although I didn't want to admit it to her. Despite me still agreeing to pray together with her whenever she asks for it, I did it begrudgingly. She always called when I was in the middle of something. I was in the midst of my meals. I was in the midst of my work. I was in the midst of my dramas. I was in the midst of.......................... All in all, she was becoming a chore.

Then I told her, "You really have to believe in Him after you pray. If you keep praying and you don't believe, what good is it to you? God wants you to have faith to believe in Him!"

I do not know if my words affected her, but after that prayer, she apologised for having disturbed me continuously.


I was disturbed. My actions or irritation towards her caused me to feel guilty. I felt that I lacked compassion and love towards her. After all, she was really struggling with her assignments and she really needed prayer. I ought to have been understanding to her........

With guilt pouring down on me, I prayed to God in earnest: "Lord, give me love and compassion. Soften my heart. I want to be more like You. Help me Lord!"

I prayed and I prayed. I thought He didn't answer me because I was still suffering terribly. I met with another Swedish friend and I begun to feel that she was getting on my nerves with her continuous calls in the middle of the night.

"Are you at the party, Elaine?"
"Are you going to the party tonight? I thought that we can walk over together."
"Is your phone spoilt? You didn't pick up my call just now."

I was irritated. There was only so much excuses I could give before I had to turn to creating lies to pacify her. I started to avoid her calls and even started to avoid her on Facebook chat.

I forgot that maybe, she was feeling lonely. Maybe, she just needed a friend to hear out her continuous chatter. Maybe, she needed God.....





My friend reminded me yesterday that God did answer my prayers. I asked for love and compassion and He put me in situations to learn love and compassion.

I can't say for certain that I've gained love and compassion for all these people. But I know that I've begun to love.

Love is simply when I forget its difficulty, and do as Jesus did. He loved. Simply because.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


[My response to God]

My Lord,

I have learnt that it is never easy when I choose to take the path You want me to take. But do as You please with me. All I am is Yours.

No comments: